Monday, July 13, 2009

Relay for Life 2009





















Relay for Life 2009 was once again a success. A big thank you to Team Super Jake for the continued success we have had for the past 5 years! I participate in the Relay for Life in Dublin every year, and yes I have successfully completed 5 24 hour events to help find a cure for cancer. This event is such a an amazing event. You meet so many new people on teams and hear so many inspiring stories of people who have fought the battle with cancer and won, people who are currently fighting the battle, as well as unfortunate stories of people who have fought the battle and lost. It is an emotional event, that is for sure. We had some unusual weather this year, for sure. A bit of the heat and a surprise thunderstorm that lasted about 10 minutes, which was odd. We once again had 24 raffles prizes to represent the 24 hours of walking. There was also a fireworks show in the evening, which I didn't get the chance to see this year, but oh well. I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart who donated money for me at this event. Thank you Jeff Lienhard, Danette Scott, Carole Scott, Al Brady for your generous donations. I appreciate it. Another part of the Relay for Life which is so meaningful to me is the luminary ceremony. This is a ceremony that takes place in which you write you name on a lunch bag and a glow stick is placed inside it. Then in turn the bags are placed along the pathway in which we walk and come nightfall, there is an amazing glow from the bags. I have so many bags this year, it was kind of scary. Some of the people I recognized, whether they fought the battle, are fighting the battle or are in remission are Ann Brady, Gary-Steven Brady, Missy Christensen, Tess Scott, Reed Snyder, Billy Meehan, Gary Miller, Michael Jones, Dwain Glossip, Bill Boston, Henry Lienhard, Sheri Castro, Nana Castro, Debbie Martin, Maria Ponce, and of course Super Jake. I know I have forgotten some people, so forgive for the people I haven't mentioned. There is also some music and speakers that go up and tell their stories as well as a slide show of photos. Thanks again to everyone who helped me make this event successful, another part of my journey.











No comments: